Friday, September 9, 2011

Characteristics of a David Yurman Fake

From a David Yurman representative:First, ask yourself, if a particular seller is selling at least 50 David Yurman pieces, in all colors and sizes, and they are not an authorized David Yurman dealer, where are they getting these items? I had one of the big sellers who sold me a fake Yurman tell me that David Yurman was producing his pieces out of China! The fakes are geing straight out of China! I buy Yurmans for myself from sellers who are selling one or two pieces of their own jewelry. We all buy jewelry and realize we aren't wearing it. The three fakes I have bought have been from the big sellers who have many, many Yurman pieces listed.If you suspect a piece, look at the craftsmanship! Authentic David Yurman pieces are perfectly crafted. All cuts will be perfectly symmetrical; metals will be thick. Look at the ridges of the cables; they should be deep, matching each other in depth. Any patina should be evenly dark, not fade out. I didn't realize that a diamond and citrine pendant that I had bought from one of the big sellers was a fake until I got an authentic prasiolite pendant in the same style from Neiman's. Wow! What a diffence between the two! Luckily, I had not posted feedback yet, so the seller accepted my return and refunded my money.If the piece has diamonds, they will be bright and white, not yellow. They will be intricately set, not ragged looking.The hallmarks should be penetrate the metal deeply and match each other in type style. If the hallmarks are hard to read and ill defined, they may indicate a casting of the real article. If only the initials D Y are stamped on the ring, usually the copyright symbol is present also. The hallmarks will include all metals in the piece, 925 (sterling silver), 750 (18k gold, and 585 (14k gold). Most of the hallmarks that are authentic will have patina in the grooves. Older pieces may have D. Yurman and Sterling, 14k gold, etc.Look at the underside of every ring, where the stone is mounted. Is it rough or highly polished? Real Yurman pieces are polished and smooth on every interior and exterior surface. I recently bought a box chain from Neiman's and it did gee with a certificate of authenticity.If you are in doubt, take the piece to an authorized dealer and have the representative look at it. Once you gepare a fake Yurman in geparison with the real thing, you will never be fooled again. I have pieces purchased from Neiman Marcus and from okay. I have received three fakes from okay sellers. They refunded my money, but I was lucky. I have bought many authentic pieces from okay sellers, most of them have been individual sellers who were selling mint pieces that they no longer wore.

No comments:

Post a Comment